Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blacksad - Book 1



Blacksad is absolutely gorgeous. I like to see what all the comics on the reading list look like and decide which one I'll read based on that and if I've heard that they're any good, but upon seeing Mariana reading Blacksad, I was sold. I downloaded it immediately and I couldn't stop glimpsing at the pages over her shoulder. And as of yet, each gorgeous, hand-painted page hasn't left me in any less awe. The panels are extremely well laid-out so that each page is like an illustration unto itself. The pacing is natural and flowing, and I love the clever dialogue and how the story unfolds as we follow detective Blacksad, despite him not even saying much in the comic. This novel-like detective story reminded me of L.A. Noire in themes, characters, and even style - but was done so well and refreshingly that it feels like a new genre entirely. I love how all the characters are different animals, and they remain true to the animals' personalities. Blacksad himself is a cat, reserved and fierce. The story is played through him, but we don't know much about him at first - the viewer sees him as mysterious, and slowly picks up hints to piece together his past with the homicide of his ex-lover the book begins with. Through the story he comes along other animals such as a mouse maid, who is timid and subservient, a boxing gorilla, some bad-ass reptiles, and a bear and rhino mercenary, among others. The story is fun and interesting, and entirely addicting. I plan to read all of them eventually; and if anything, I'd love to just flip through the pages to stare at the gorgeous art.

No comments:

Post a Comment