Monday, September 19, 2011
Donald Duck and The Adventures of TinTin
We read some Donald Duck comics in class, and I was actually surprised that they weren't as lame as I thought they would be. Mickey/Donald Duck cartoons just never tickled me, so I assumed that the comics wouldn't be any funnier or more entertaining. Maybe it's the medium and the writer's well-placed beats that make it inherently funny, but I was pleasantly surprised. The comics I read were both Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck comics though, and were both pretty much exactly the same, and I couldn't imagine how they could've had a whole series of comics surrounding those characters when they're so shallow and only really have one outstanding quality. Still, overall the comics were entertaining, though a little childish and drawn out.
TinTin is a comic originally made in Belgium (I actually thought it was England, but was corrected by a guy who overheard me talking about it and happened to really love the comics), but has spread around the entire world. It's pretty much popular everywhere except for in America for some reason, which makes me wonder why they're trying to make a movie here based on it. TinTin follows the fantastic adventures of a young boy, and is centralized around a few main, repeating characters with unique personality quirks. It's supposed to be a pretty humorous, adventurous comic, and is still running even though it was first published in the late twenties. The style is a mash-up of a simplistic and cartoony style for the characters, and detailed, realistic backgrounds. This makes the characters stand out and makes them more exaggerated and all-around more appealing to people, while still basing them in the real world and making them feel like they exist here. The colors are bright and vintagey, and the panels are pretty plain and evenly-spaced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment